Washing your medical scrubs from home isn’t usually the first choice for medical professionals, especially since in the hospital laundry and professional laundromats, there are practices in place to ensure your scrub tops and pants are as clean as possible. However, not all medical professionals have the luxury of these options and opt to wash their scrubs at home.
That’s why in this article we’ll give you some tips on getting your scrubs clean and sanitary from home!
Tips for Washing Your Medical Scrubs
- For new scrubs, it is advised to wash them in cold water and add half a cup of vinegar to the wash. This will help the color of the scrubs set and prevent fading; giving your scrubs a longer life.
- Wash your scrubs separate from your normal clothing. This gives your scrubs plenty of room in the washer and don’t subject your regular clothes to bacteria from work.
- If you need to soak your scrubs in a strong detergent or bleach to get rid of stains, try not to leave them in for too long. This can weaken or damage the fabric.
- To remove the most bacteria from your scrubs, wash them twice. Once in cold water to remove dirt and debris, and the second time in warm water. Also, turn your scrubs inside out to avoid bacteria piling.
- By tumble-drying your scrubs for at least 30 minutes on a high heat setting you can kill even more bacteria. Just be weary that this could cause scrubs to shrink depending on the fabric.
One Last Scrubs Care Tip
If you can avoid it, don’t wear your scrubs on the way to work. Change once you arrive in order to prevent dust and other microbes from accumulating on your clean scrubs during the trip.
It’s also a good idea to change back into regular clothes before the trip home to avoid transferring any bacteria on your worn scrubs to anyone you come in contact with along the way.
Sanibel Scrubs specializes in medial scrubs, lab coats, and other medical wardrobe for both men and women. As a private label brand, we are able to offer you the best quality and best prices. We understand what you expect from your uniforms and it's our goal to provide it. View our scrubs today and Escape the Ordinary.