You wear your scrubs all day (or maybe all night), so they need to be comfortable, functional, and flattering. But how do you know which scrubs to buy – especially when buying online? With a tape measure and a little bit of knowledge, you can ensure you get perfect fitting medical scrubs every time.
The Perfect Fit Starts With Accurate Measurements
In order to get the most flattering scrubs for your body, you should start by taking your measurements. You can do this by using a flexible tape measure to take your measurements around your bust (or chest for men), waist, hips and inseam.
For optimal accuracy, have someone help you take your measurements.
- Bust or Chest - Measure beneath your arms around the fullest part of the chest.
- Waist - Measure under the natural waistline, holding the tape measure loosely.
- Hips - Measure around the fullest part of the hips standing with feet together.
- Inseam - Measure along the inside of the leg to an inch below the ankle.
Mark down each measurement to use as a reference guide for any brand's size chart to ensure the perfect fit. If you prefer things roomy, size up. If you’d rather things be more fitted, choose your true size.
Choosing Your Ideal Fit
Today, there are so many different fits and styles of medical scrubs available on the market – from loose fitting to tailored and classic to trendy. No matter which style you prefer, just remember that your scrubs should never limit your movements or prevent you from performing your job the best you can.
Here are some of the most popular fits:
- Missy Fit - This fit typically has a longer sleeve length with a flattering silhouette. The top's longer hemline offers extra coverage when bending or reaching, while the bottoms offer a higher rise with a relaxed leg.
- Junior Fit – If you prefer a more fitted option for your scrubs, a junior fit might be your best option. This style typically features scrub tops with a shorter sleeve length and a slimmer fit throughout the shirt. Junior fit scrub pants tend to sit just below the natural waistline and offer a slimmer, more fitted leg.
- Unisex Fit – Unisex scrubs are a classic, roomy and restriction-free option that offers a longer sleeve length with a roomier armhole and a straight, loose fit through the waist. The pants generally sit slightly below the natural waistline and have a more relaxed fit.
- Athletic Fit – This fit is designed to move with you. Most athletic fit scrubs have fabric with stretch, including an elastic waistband. Some even have mesh perforations for breathability and knit panels for extra flex.
Medical Scrubs Sizing Guide
In addition to various fits, most scrubs brands offer flattering options for various sizes. Doesn’t matter if you’re searching for the best plus size scrubs or petite scrubs, you should be able to find something that’s perfect for you.
- Regular – If you're not particularly short or tall and wear a 0 to 10 in standard sizing, you will probably prefer a regular fit.
- Petite - Professionals who are 5'4" and shorter will probably prefer petite sizing. They feature shorter hems but use the same sizing conventions as regular. In other words, choose your normal size in petite if you're shorter.
- Plus Size – You can easily find plus size scrubs that are equally as comfortable and flattering for curves. Different scrub brands follow different sizing conventions, but generally if you wear a size 12 and up you will find your size in plus size sections.
Scrubs brands will all have different sizing conventions and different fit options, but with this sizing guide, you should have a better idea of what will work best for you.
Click here to see the Sanibel Scrubs Sizing Chart.
Sanibel Scrubs specializes in medial scrubs, lab coats, and other medical wardrobe for both men and women. As a private label brand, we are able to offer you the best quality and best prices. We understand what you expect from your uniforms and it's our goal to provide it. View our scrubs today and Escape the Ordinary.